Monday, July 17, 2006

Girls Ride Out

I met a couple of the girls at the Bike Expo at Homebush last year and one of them gave me their card. I used it as a bookmark for a month or so and one day the time was right and I gave them a call. I got an answering machine. What did I expect? It was a nice Saturday afternoon and the roads were dry as a bone. Did I really expect them to sit by the phone? Get real!
I left a message.... a long message, just short of telling my life story. Then I waited. The recording said: "We'll get back to you within 24-48 hours."
Three weeks later I remembered that I did not get my callback. When I had my first ride with ANON, I met one of the female riders wearing one of the GRO T-shirts and I checked out their website, which had their next ride posted for one of the following weekends, so I rang that number again, this time only leaving name and contact. Di rang and left a message and when I got a hold of her, she got me in touch with Trish who lives within a 40 km radius.We arranged to meet at a service station in Prestons. "Where the #*@+& is Prestons???" Thank goodness for Wheris.com! ...and still, I managed to get quite lost at first, and I had to stop at Casula... same brand petrol station... asking an Indian attendant for directions, who had no idea that it was just the very next suburb. I found it and to my surprise ahead of all others. It was freezing! 3 degrees celsius and my temperature gauge knew it was and it refused to move off the 'C' position throughout the entire day. Trish arrived and brought two others along. They looked very much like guys. They were guys! I was amazed and pretended that I was not. I thought this was a Girl's Ride. Like, all-female sort of thing... Well, I realised it wasn't... and when we got to the meeting point it was more like half guys, half girls. Ah well, whatever! I came out to have a group ride. I don't really care what gender they are anyway. There were about 30-40 bikes all shapes and sizes and once they sorted out the meeting point we were all together, ready to go from Maccas at ...was it Rouse Hill" or wasn't it?

Well, I did not have a map, so I decided that I'd stay with the lead pack whatever it takes. Little did I know that the leader did not have a map either... oooooh I learnt from THAT experience!!... so we ended up at the wrong ferry, where we waited for some time for the rest of the pack to arrive. Two more riders made it there, but then there was stunning silence. Except for the put-put of the ferry, which made its way from shore to shore.


We made it into Wiseman's Ferry 35 minutes after the rear of the pack had arrived there, which was a little disappointing, but I can live with that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

aboriginal art
aboriginal art Counter