Monday, July 17, 2006

I Joined ANON

My brother in law passed away last year. Don was my ally, my hero. He went ahead. He took the fast lane. He was the one who introduced me to ANON, even though I only really got to meet them at his wake. Around that time I had been dreaming about getting another bike and I was planning to go for rides with him and his peers, but I never got to do that..the grim reaper took his soul.

So, on that day I promised myself two things:


•to own a motorcycle again and


•to join BikersANON.

As you can guess, I didn't let myself down!

It was another sunny Sunday and the ride was to Stanwell Park for a game of soccer. Well... we met at Gymea, which is not far from home.
It was World Cup Soccer time and the Aussies were still in the comp, so we were all quite motivated... We were the Green Team. 'Kawasaki' vs 'The Rest of the World' and I volunteered to be the goalie- given my German connection and current level of unfitness. I had sooooo much fun! It was great to meet the Guys 'n Dolls, who made me feel most welcome, especially after the ride through the National Park.
The road was dry in the high section, but a little moist and mossy in the southern part. I knew the ride quite well, but was'nt going to risk a slide in those corners, so I took my time. I figured if they don't like it they'd overtake me. Yep, I got there in good time... After all, it was a '2-bike' rated ride.


UNLIKE the next ANON ride I went on, which had a '4-bike' rating. This ride was a little out of my league. It really did not start well and because of the cold weather I was too uncomfily wrapped up in gear, which made it a little difficult to move. However, leaving in darkness that morning, I took off via Appin to a place called McGrath Hill, which was near Windsor.
I was not making good time and got lost at one stage, which took its toll on my confidence. I pulled over at a petrol station and asked the female attendant for directions.

She said:" Funny that, you are the second person asking me that question today."

"On a bike?", I asked, "What time was that? About ten minutes ago?"

"Naah, more like an HOUR ago..."

I panicked and took off. What I SHOULD have done was to calmly take the time to fill up, as I was only 5 k's away from the meeting point and still had time to get there before take-off.

Well, you've guessed it: I ran out of petrol just a couple of kilometers down the road from that petrol station. I had such a sinking feeling as I could feel the engine spluttering. I kept rolling as far as I could, but stopped on the side of the road in the middle of...no idea where I was, but I grabbed my tankbag and started walking. Soon I started to get my feeling back in my finger tips, gone were those icy toes and I even started to unzip my jacket a little. But THAT was IT... two pairs of socks, three layers of tops, a cotton scarf and the windsock around my neck and (don't tell anyone about this one:) my long cotton PJ pants under the leathers did not make me break out in a sweat. It just stayed COMFY...
whilst I walked around the block to source a jerry can full of petrol.

I did not even attempt to ride to the meeting point. The only way to go was to try and meet them at Oberon. No map, but I had an idea which way to go: up the Bell's Line Of Road (where there was a constant threat of ice patches), Mt Victoria, Lithgow, Oberon. Unfortunately I missed the turn off to Oberon and had to ride about 20 km up the Hwy past Lithgow, then took a left turn to Obrrron. This road was shocking. About 2 km into it, it turned into a terribly bumpy dirt road and the most I was averaging was about 20, maybe 30km/hour. I was worried that the gang would leave before I even get there. I wondered how much of this I could take if this was to go on for the next 20 km and all my muscles were already as sore as they could possibly be... ASPHALT!!! YES!!!!! ...but it only lasted for 500 meters. What a teaser! Then more dirt....aaaargh!!!




I finally got to Oberon and met the ANON and was told : "You are late!"
Well I guess that was the theme of the day for me.

Something unexpected happened there when I backed the rear into the kerb. When I tried to start the bike up, I could not get it back to neutral. The bike was on a bit of an angle and I was weakened by the previous horrid ride experience, so I had to ask someone to push me forward a little. The move did not do much for the gear situation and someone said that I should turn on the engine and then try and get it back to neutral. That worked. What on earth had happened? MENTAL NOTE: when backing rear into kerb, do it in neutral!

Well, admitting that I had run of petrol, I was reminded to fill up again. I felt humbled, awkward, inexperienced, a growing lack of confidence with every misjudged corner, with every wobbly line, with every lonesome kilometer, with every time someone had to wait for me at a turn-off to make sure I would not get lost....thank you, thank you, thank you... who ever you were, waiting patiently for me to get there...

By the time I got to the pub on the hill most of the guys had a glass of beer in their hand. THAT'S how slow I was, but I did not want to take risks and the thought of having my family attending my hospital bed kept cropping up. That's not what I wanted to happen. I wanted to make it HOME. SAFELY!

..and the image of Don's helmet after the accident has not left my subconscious yet.

I guess I am simply a little SCARED... strange actually, especially since I was so confident after the Wiseman's Ferry ride the week before...

I also felt a little vulnerable that day. I got a glimpse of myself in the pub mirror and I did not look my best. Hat Hair! 'Wicked witch' came to mind, (did I need to try out 'Sunsilk AntiFlat' ... does that mean farewell to Helmet Hair????) but I wasn't there to win a beauty contest or pick up ...I am happily married, after all!
When I got back outside 'Age' suddenly became a talking point and being 10 years their senior, I wondered whether it was accidental. Plus one of the lady riders seemed to need to take the 'Higher ground' by challenging my 'thinking I was having a good time'. "You say that," she said," but you are spending soooo much time by yourself..." Aaah come on! Could she be any more blunt?!

Earlier she had told me that she had a 600 too, but a newer model, with more modern lines. I did not care, but somehow I got a sense of competition going on then and there... Naaahhh, not my style! It spoilt it a little, but I guess it takes all kinds. I sure hope I read too much into that.

Tamzin of cause was lovely and Jo, the Triumph lady, another newer member, whose company I did enjoy very much...I wished I had more time to chat.

On our way back we took a little detour through the Galston Gorge. By that time I was soo exhausted that it became just another challenge I did not need and facing an hour or two ride home in traffic from Hornsby Heights, I had to take my leave when the others took off on the Newcastle Freeway.
I know when I've had enough! Good thing I told them that I will split to go south at some stage and that was that.

So, did I have a good time?

Mostly.

Mainly that I have been able to recognise my limits and pushing the boundaries a little more. After all, it was certainly worth doing and I did learn something. It can only get better.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, I am sorry for your loss. Don was quite an amazing chap. Last time I saw him was on a weekend away ride to Oxley and he turned up just with a bum-bag. What a great idea ;-) why do we need luggage anyway?

I was at the wake, probably bumped into you (?)

Safe riding

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

aboriginal art
aboriginal art Counter