Sunday, August 20, 2006

MY BERRIMA TRIP WITH THE 'GIRLS'

We met not too early on a glorious Sunday morning at ...Casula Caltex... I have become a little more familiar with the area ...after all, this is our second meeting. It was quite busy and I was most surprised when I saw how many bike riders had already turned up when I got there, which I had thought was in good time.

Three other riders caught up with me (Paul and Sue and Julia) as I approached. I felt a little awkward, because I did not seem to recognise ANYONE. You can imagine how I felt when I went into the premises to get myself a drink and people started to take off ALREADY!

"Weird, they did not even bother to let me know that we're going so soon", I thought, before I started to panic...I still had to get my gear back on, stash my drink and purse and make sure that I wont lose the tail end...since once again I had not bothered about that map. As it turned out, they were the local Ulysses Club-whose admirable motto is to grow old disgracefully. As it happened they had picked the same meeting point, but took off ahead of us and probably went to another destination.

We ended up with approximately 25 bikes on this run and poor Rachel, the HarleyChick volunteered to tail us, which meant that she was riding with a bright orange vest over her cool Harley black leathers. She copped a lot of flack from her good friends and her husband, all riding as part of the pack.

The ride was taking us through some nice country side with some fine roads on which I proceeded to practise my right handers. My new tyres are soo much better and they were truly worth the money. The bike seems to lean easier on that new, lower front end tyre and on the way back I checked for highspeed wobbles, but there was nada. It certainly is good fun to be on the road again.

We had a couple of stops to re-group and at the last one at Bowral we were told that the Berrima Markets were on, which will make parking at the place a bit of a hassle. Everyone's on their own. Grab what you can! Ok! I parked about half a km from the pub. We took our gear and ordered a bite to eat. It arrived as quickly as the drinks and the place was nice and warm. We discovered that the pub had a parking lot right at the back...next time!

Well, the girls started to itch a little on the market-front and off we went, only held back by the size of the tankbag I carried.
As we were taking in the sights, we heard the roar and knew that some of us were alredy on their way back, waving at us from the road. The three of us were contemplating which way to go when I had a call from the family and they were suggesting that I'd join them at Moss Vale for a cuppa, which was only 10 k's out from where we were. So I farewelled my travel partners and took off to meet the rellos. Sunday afternoon in a posh Highlands Cafe saw me quite out of place in my leathers, gearpack and helmet. So I made sure that I'd mention that these leathers ARE FRENCH...

and then we were invited to look at a friend of the family's mansion. After the sixth's bathroom I finally made the brave decision to look at myself in the mirror and I looked WILD! Hat-hair, ooooooh how I despise HAT HAIR!!!!!!!!!
hmmm, can't win them all. You pay to go on rides. Simple as that.
I wish I had this guy's hat-hair!!!!...

In the end I did get a lot of attention taking off, as the young couple had decided that they will purchase a set of brandnew Dukes this summer. I always love to meet prospective riding partners. I suggested ANON and GRO of cause. She lectures in women's leadership seminars. Most women on bikes I have ever met were strong women. Perhaps there's something in it for all of us. We'll see...

P.S. :
You meet a guy at a party. How do you know he rides a Ducati?

He'll tell you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

aboriginal art
aboriginal art Counter